General Eyecare Toowoomba | General Eyecare Highfields
The team at Neilson Eyecare are committed to provide comprehensive eye care for all patients. As a member of Provision, Australia’s independent optometrists’ association, our practice is supported to offer a world-class service.
In addition to the eye test, a general eye care health check is included in all our comprehensive consultations. If eye health issues are found during this general health check our optometrists will perform further tests to diagnose and monitor specific eye conditions.
Neilson Eyecare has invested in the latest technology to offer OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography), Digital Retinal Photography, and Visual Fields analysis. This equipment is routinely used for our patients during their general eye tests.
Eye Conditions and Visual Problems
Numerous conditions affect vision over a lifetime. The optometrists at Neilson Eyecare have many years experience in the diagnosis and management of the following:
– the lens inside the eye becomes opaque and cloudy. This cloudiness results in poor vision
– damage to the macula usually related to age. The macula is the part of the retina responsible for sharp central vision
– a condition in which the nerve fibres which transmit information from the eye to the brain, become damaged. Preventing visual information from getting from the retina to the brain. This can lead to blindness, peripheral vision loss and pressure within the eye
– a triangular shaped lump of tissue with blood vessels that grows from the conjunctiva on to the cornea. Believed to be caused by excessive sun exposure
– diabetes may damage the retina at the back of the eye. The risk of developing retinopathy increases with the length of time a patient has diabetes and how well it is controlled. Annual check ups are required
– short sightedness, difficulty seeing in the distance
– long sightedness, difficulty focusing up close
– when the front of the eye is oval shaped and results in blurred vision at all distances
– a common condition that makes reading difficult in middle age, starting at around 40 years of age
Ingrown eye lash
– a common condition requiring removal
Foreign body removal
– such as grass seeds and metal fragments
– irritated, red, itchy eyes. Made worse by dry, dusty, windy conditions such as the Darling Downs
– leading cause is meibmomian gland dysfunction. More information
– bacterial and viral infections such as conjunctivitis, styes and herpes simplex keratitis
– visual auras are common whilst experiencing migraine headaches
– eye pain, red eyes, blurred vision, sudden occurrence of floaters, flashes, halos around light
Our optometrists at Neilson Eyecare are qualified to prescribe prescription eye drops, such as topical glaucoma medication and antibiotics.
At Neilson Eyecare, we take the long-term view. No one is getting younger, so planning the future management of our patient’s vision is an important part of our service.
Excellent information on Macular Degeneration can be found at www.mdfoundation.com.au and an explanation of Cataracts at http://www.optometry.org.au/your-eyes/your-eye-health/eye-diseases/cataract.aspx
For more information on the various conditions and vision problems that we can assist with, please call our reception staff. (07) 4638 2377