We stock a variety of eyedrops for a range of dry eye conditions.
Eye drops are essentially artificial tears made from a combination of water and other ingredients and come in a range of thicknesses.
- Lubricating drops: we stock preserved drops such as Systane Ultra and non preserved: good for people with sensitive eyes and for those with glaucoma ie Hylo Forte, Systane Ultra vials, Systane Hydration vials.
- Eye Gels are thicker drops that stay in the eyes longer, but will blur vision temporarily, best used at night before bed. Good for severe dry eye, such as Systane Gel or Genteal gel.
- Eye Ointment: Vitapos – best used before bed, especially good for severe dry eye or incomplete lid closure, helps with eye healing due to the ingredient Vitamin A.
- Oil replacement drops: help to replicate the oil or ‘pool blanket’ layer of tears, such as Systane Complete, Systane Balance or Novatears (if more severe).
- Manuka Honey drops: Natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, such as Optimel drops or gel
We cannot stock, but can recommend or prescribe pharmacy only drops such as: Anti-inflammatories (steroids), antibiotics, allergy and glaucoma medication.
Not all eyedrops are safe to use with contact lenses. If you are unsure, please contact us.
How to instil eye drops:
- Use one hand to pull your lower eyelid down, away from the eye. This forms a pocket to catch the drop. You may use a mirror to guide you.
- Hold the dropper tip directly over the eyelid pocket. Don’t touch the bottle to your eye or eyelid. This can give bacteria or other contaminants a chance to grow in your eye drops.
- Squeeze the bottle gently and let the eye drop fall into the pocket, repeat for the other eye if necessary.
- One drop should be sufficient, as long as the first drop landed in the eye.
Contact Lens Solutions and Cases
Monthly or fortnightly soft contact lenses must be cleaned daily with a Multi-purpose solution such as Optifree
Hard contact lenses, such as Ortho K lenses, must be cleaned with a suitable cleaning solution such as Meicare Plus and Progent cleaner.
Contact lens cases must be changed monthly.